International applications

arrow down

Below you can find more information about application and admission process for INTERNATIONAL students (or students with Belgian nationality but holding a foreign diploma) to the Bachelor of Digital Arts and Entertainment at Howest University.


  • Applications start from the 1st of February onwards, to begin your studies in the autumn semester of the same year.
  • Application deadlines for the academic year 2020-2021 are:
    • July 1st 2020 for students who will need to apply for a visa in order to study in Belgium
    • August 16th 2020 for EU citizens and other applicants who don't need a visa.

Please take into account that Howest University of Applied Sciences is closed for summer recess between July 18th and August 16th. During that time no emails will be answered and no applications will be processed.

  • All application documents should be sent via email, preferably as a complete set, to the DAE International Admissions, Ms. Sandra VERESA:
  • Our academic calendar is split up in 2 semesters. However, students are only admitted for the start of the academic year, i.e. to begin their studies in the autumn semester (September). Starting classes in the spring semester is not possible, because the 2nd-semester courses build on top of the 1st-semester ones.
  • For more information, check out our Guide for Prospective Students.


1. Signed Application form for admission
Please complete the form in detail so that it can be processed efficiently. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. Make sure the form is signed.
You can download the application form here.

2.Official (high school) diploma and transcripts

You need to send us a copy of your (eligible) diploma and its transcripts. If these documents are in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, they must be translated by a sworn translator.

The following foreign study certificates are eligible for enrolment here:

  • a legalised foreign Bachelor diploma or equivalent;
  • a legalised foreign Master diploma or equivalent;
  • a “European Baccalaureate” diploma, awarded by the European Schools in Belgium or abroad;
  • a “Diplôme du Baccalauréat International” awarded by the Office du Baccalauréat International in Geneva;
  • a diploma awarded by the SHAPE school (NATO);
  • a Luxembourg «Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires or a «Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires Techniques»;
  • a Dutch “Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs” (VWO) diploma or a Dutch “Middelbaar Beroepsonderwijs” (MBO) diploma of at least 3 to 4 years with qualification level 4;
  • a Dutch “Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propedeutisch examen” certificate;
  • a French «Baccalauréat» diploma (minimum score 10/20) ;
  • a German “Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur” diploma;
  • a legalised “High School Diploma” (USA) with a “transcript of records”, listing at least 4 Advanced Placements (APs);


If you have a different diploma than those mentioned above, it is only eligible for enrolment here if it gives access to UNIVERSITY education in the country where it was obtained. You will need to provide us with a correctly legalised copy of your diploma and transcripts AND have this 'access to university' document filled out by one of the recognised authorities.

For certain countries, additional diploma or legalisation requirements apply. See Admission Requirements.


3. Motivation letter and Resume
Your motivation letter and resume are an important part of your application for admission to DAE at Howest University. What you write will help us find to learn more about you. Your motivation letter and resume need to be written in English.


4. Portfolio
DAE’s intent in reviewing applicants' portfolios is to ensure that students have the appropriate basic skills to be able to take part in the degree programs to which they are applying. The portfolio should demonstrate that the applicant has adequate basic drawing, 3D or programming skills to handle the rigours of the curriculum. Please include pieces that you feel demonstrate your strongest work, and reflect your personal interest. Your portfolio needs to prove that you are absolutely passionate about Games or 3D Art. We need to see or feel that you want to go all the way to become the next generation Game Developer, Game Graphics Artist or 3D/VFX Artist. 


5. Proof of proficiency in the English language
The minimum level required is the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference. The following documents are accepted as proof:

  • a secondary education diploma awarded by the Flemish Community (except for vocational secondary education (BSO) and CVO (centres for adult education));
  • a Dutch diploma “Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs” (VWO), or freely translated: “Preparatory Scientific Education” (VWO);
  • an International Baccalaureate diploma in English or with a minimum grade of 5 for the course English A or B high level or minimum grade 6 for the course English B standard level;
  • a European Baccalaureate diploma with English as first language and a score of at least 6, or as second language and a score of at least 7;
  • a certificate that at least a one-year full-time study programme of an English-taught study programme in secondary education or at least 30 credits English-taught course units in an English-language study programme in higher education has been completed successfully;
  • a recent TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 550 points (paper-based), 213 points (computer-based) or 79 points (internet-based);
  • a recent IELTS Certificate from the British Council: minimum score 5.5;
  • a GCSE Certificate English with score A*-C;
  • one of the following certificates of Cambridge English: First Certificate in English (FCE) or Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE):
  • a certificate of the “English Test” awarded by the University Language Center (UCT) of Ghent University;
  • an attestation of CEF level B2 English (or higher).

6. Copy of your passport. 


7.Chinese students must also pass the APS-screening.



When you are accepted as a student, you will receive a Certificate of Acceptance. With this Certificate you can apply for a Visa.


Students from EEA member states (European Union + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) do not need a visa.

Special arrangements apply for Switzerland. Monaco follows the French regulations.

After your final registration at the student administration office, you will need to apply for an E-card. This needs to be done at the latest within one month after the start of the academic year.


Non-EEA citizens need a visa or an authorisation to enter and stay in Belgium. Therefore, non-EEA students should apply for an Authorisation for Provisional Stay. This type of visa (in Dutch: Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) allows the holder to stay in Belgium for a period longer than three months.

This visa is also referred to as Visa Type D. For non-EEA students, the Authorisation for Provisional Stay is also commonly known as student visa.

As a rule you must apply for this visa at the Belgian Consulate or Embassy in your country or in the country where you legally reside, and not the public authorities in Belgium itself. If there is no Belgian consulate or embassy in your country, you may submit your application to the Belgian consulate or embassy in a neighbouring country. Never enter Belgium on a tourist visa if you intend to stay longer than 90 days or three months.

Non-EEA citizens cannot enrol at Howest without a valid Student Visa.


For final registration you need to present yourself in person at the student administration office of the Howest campus where you want to enrol. For DAE students, this is the campus in the Graaf Karel de Goedelaan 5, 8500 Kortrijk – Belgium.
The payment of the tuition fees takes places before or during your final registration at the student administration office.

Please send all the necessary documents by e-mail to the DAE International Admissions, Ms. Sandra VERESA: